That’s a wrap on our shakedown sail! In this episode, after sailing back across Lake Michigan to our home port of Racine, Wisconsin, and getting a little weird during the crossing (being alone on a boat definitely makes you go a little batty), we talk through everything we learned during our 3-week cruise along the west coast of Michigan.
We wanted to do a proper shakedown cruise for two reasons:
- FUN. After years of planning, saving and searching for a sailboat, we wanted to have some fun, see the west coast of Michigan, and sail into Charlevoix to achieve one of Kirk’s childhood dreams.
- TEST the BOAT. Even though we’d taken some daysails, up until this point we hadn’t used the boat like a cruiser, which was the big plan. Before setting off south from our home port, we wanted a better idea of what we needed to fix, change or upgrade on the boat. A multi-week shakedown sail/cruise gave us a much better understanding of what it was like to live aboard our Tartan 37.
Below is the TO DO list of things we decided were the most important and/or easy/cheap to complete before leaving on our big trip down the Mississippi/inland river system.
- Ground tackle upgrade
- Replace leaky head with compositing head
- Convert all lights to LEDs
- New battery bank
- Communications upgrade
- Purchase Verizon mifi – https://amzn.to/2ukuQcI
- Cellphone signal booster – https://amzn.to/2NMf821
- Marine cellphone antenna – https://amzn.to/2uxRCgj
- Wifi booster
- Insulate engine compartment
- Hydrogen sulfate monitor – https://amzn.to/2umsJVP
- Plumb 2nd water tank * Add foam to settee cushions
- Run spinnaker halyard internally
- Sew UV canvas covers for winches, handrails & compass
- Buy handheld VHF – https://amzn.to/2uydZCq
- Rig anchor light for river trip – https://amzn.to/2JmTvlp
- Buy jerry cans for diesel & water/make deck railing for stowing
- Diesel – https://amzn.to/2NQG8NV
- Water – https://amzn.to/2LgYjdZ
- Re-charge fridge
Stay tuned for the next episode as the projects begin!
Hope you enjoy!
Lauren & Kirk
P.S. If you’d like more Sailing Soulianis content or would like to support our video production, consider becoming a patron here: https://www.patreon.com/sailingsoulianis
WE’RE LOOKING FOR MUSIC! If you or someone you know makes good tunes, give us a shout at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Days Passing By – Wandersound https://soundcloud.com/wandersoundradio
Horizon – Deaf-an https://soundcloud.com/deafanmusic
Adventures – A Himitsu https://youtu.be/8BXNwnxaVQE
Our camera gear:
Canon 80D – http://amzn.to/2D6T6kO
Canon M6 – http://amzn.to/2Dyzya0
DJI Mavic Pro – http://amzn.to/2FEiQGT
RODE VideoMic GO – http://amzn.to/2FEfOSZ
GoPro Hero 6 Black – https://amzn.to/2G3ZCtk
FeiyuTech G6 Gimbal – https://amzn.to/2JHoSfE